Advanced Internal Auditor
Cincinnati, OH 45202 US
Job Title: Advanced Internal Auditor
Location: Cincinnati OH
Come join us:
Vernovis is looking for an Advanced Internal Auditor who will work under the direction of our clients Internal Audit AVP & Director to perform risk-based internal audit activities for our client and its subsidiaries. Successful candidates will perform risk-based integrated reviews of financial, operational, systems and management controls of the Company. Provides assistance to the external auditors and regulatory auditors while maintaining effective working relationships with business unit management. Serves as in-charge auditor for certain assigned audit projects and supervises staff auditors and college interns assigned to the project. Works with some supervision and is responsible for making a minimal range of decisions, escalating to Manager when appropriate and updating Manager on a regular basis.
What You'll Do:
- Prepares complex general ledger accounting entries for life insurance subsidiaries and non-life entities, on both a statutory and GAAP basis.
- Executes comprehensive variance analysis of financial results for business unit and shared service leadership.
- Partners with organizational peers to present results to department leadership and BU analysts to support business unit decision-making, budget analysis and strategic initiatives.
- Prepares regulatory, external, and internal reporting for distribution to management, Board of Directors, regulators, and rating agencies.
- Leads targeted departmental initiatives and is a resource on large-scale enterprise initiatives. Leads coordination with external stakeholders on department projects (i.e., auditors).
- Performs complex account reconciliations in order to ensure the integrity of financial data.
- Identifies accounting issues impacting the insurance and non-life companies, researches and escalates issues.
- Maintains technical accounting expertise of other statutory and GAAP accounting principles. Formalizes results in technical accounting memos.
- Owns the implementation and maintenance of effective processes and procedures for completing and improving work.
- Leverages operational excellence to identify, evaluate and implement changes to improve efficiency and reduce risk.
- Performs risk-based audit procedures on scheduled audit projects in accordance with approved risk-based audit programs and in a timely, efficient and professional manner, demonstrating a working knowledge of internal control concepts for each audit project.
- For assigned audit projects, clearly documents and evaluates the internal controls present in the manual and automated systems being reviewed, identifying internal control strengths and weaknesses.
- Prepares audit work papers that accurately and sufficiently document audit tests performed, in accordance with departmental guidelines, i.e., Audit Procedures Manual (APM).
- Consistently provides timely information to the Audit Director during the audit project regarding weaknesses noted and recommendations for corrective action.
- Prepares summary memoranda, closing conference agenda, planning meeting memos, etc., that accurately describe results of tests performed, the nature of control weaknesses and exposures, and identify practical recommendations for improvements.
- Completes the Internal Audit self-study program in order to gain the required knowledge of internal control concepts, audit testing techniques, data processing knowledge and financial, systems and operational audit knowledge.
- Provides basic internal controls consultation to our customers as requested.
- Serves as the lead in-charge auditor on small- to medium-size audit projects that have a low to medium level of difficulty and risk.
- As lead in-charge auditor of a project, supervises assigned resources, general interns and staff internal auditors.
- Assists external auditors and regulatory auditors in the performance of scheduled audit activities.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned by management.
What You'll Have:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Visio).
- Exposure to automated systems, including mainframes and Local Area Network- and Wide Area Network-based applications.
- Exposure to automated auditing tools, including ACL, Easytrieve Plus, etc.
- Proven working knowledge of internal control concepts and risk-based audit techniques.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of accounting.
- Proven ability to develop or adapt programs/procedures on an as-needed basis.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating multiple projects/assignments (2 to 3) simultaneously and completing assigned tasks accurately and on a timely basis. Possesses strong attention to detail with excellent organizational skills. Solid project management with proven experience successfully planning, executing, and maintaining a project from start to finish.
- Proven strong analytical skills, including demonstrated experience identifying, defining and resolving problems, and collecting or interpreting data to establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated success interpreting and communicating business needs between internal groups and external vendors in a clear, accurate, focused, and concise manner. Demonstrated ability to document procedures and activities in a manner that is understandable to others and prepared using a prescribed format. Verbal and written communications are to conform to proper rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style. Will be expected to provide examples of written audit reports.
- Proven progressive risk-based integrated auditing experience in a “Big Four” public accounting firm or a Fortune 500-type company.
The Vernovis Difference:
Join our collaborative work environment so that we can all do our best work and learn from each other. Our core values fuel our decisions and guide our actions:
Integrity – an uncompromising commitment to honesty and strong moral principles.
Collaboration – a reliance on openness, knowledge sharing, focus and accountability to achieve shared goals.
Extraordinary Service – a fundamental belief that we are in business to serve both clients and candidates in ways that exceed their expectations.
Vernovis does not accept inquiries from Corp to Corp recruiting companies. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis and not violate any immigration or discrimination laws.
Vernovis provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected status.
Meet Your Recruiter
Wendy has been with Vernovis since 2013 and brings over 12 years of recruiting experience. She lives our core values and always strives to do what's right for her consultants and clients.
"Wendy Kolkmeyer has been one of the most compassionate and supportive people I have encountered in my professional life. She found me challenging, productive assignments at a time I needed them the most." - Monica
"I appreciate the way my representative (Wendy K.) keeps me informed concerning positions and any other information that is pertinent to my assignment." - Branner
"Wendy treats consultants as people not inventory." - Bill